Painting again - Finally ! :)

 


"Spell cast - Spell broke" 

Acrylic on canvas

40*50 cm 

13th March, 2021 

Ever since they closed down my coffee place (and all the other ones, for that matter)  - I stopped painting. I couldn’t bring myself to do it. The canvas was there, on the table, propped up, ready for me to dive into it whenever I wanted. But I couldn’t. I would pass by it, look at it, but couldn’t feel nothing. No inspiration, no pull to take the brushes and play. It was a horrible winter and even though I did not have to self-isolate I felt like I did. Three months felt like a prison. I could of course, leave the house anytime I wanted, but where would I go? It was too cold or too rainy at any given day. And those few brave souls that I’d meet on my half-hour get-some-air-trip around the ‘hood seemed not much happier of sociable than I was. Stay away, for health reasons, keep yourself and other safe. Stay safe. We did our part. We stayed away. Only handful of closest friends to have a vending machine coffee somewhere outside in the cold. But we survived.

The first day of March 2021 brought the Sun out. And life, too. And terraces opened up. And I started to breathe again. And even though they’re telling us it’s not over yet I’m grateful that at least seasons are becoming friendlier and we get to breathe some fresh air and soak in the Life Force.

This winter seemed like someone cast a nasty spell on the World.

But sometimes I can’t help but wonder If we ourselves are actually the ones doing it to ourselves?

I name this painting “Spell cast – spell broke”.

I finally felt like painting again. I was so happy that I started to cry while moving the first strokes of paint on the canvas. They were tears of relief, sadness, joy and then some. Then I laughed through those tears and I let them go. I was finally able to feel happiness again. It was there, hidden underneath the fear… And that is what the most dangerous virus in the world is these days. It’s not the Virus they’re telling you - it’s the virus of Fear.

I’m hoping this experience has helped me become stronger and more resilient to it. And most of you too. Let’s become aware of the fact that we create our own reality and if most of us decide to have a different and better reality than this – we can do it. Together. All of us.

And as Bob Ross would say – “God Bless, my friend.”

Merri Van Te

***

Note: This painting is inspired by an artist called Ray Grimes. Check out his process here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftLBUTRVpyA

 


Primjedbe

Popularni postovi s ovog bloga

Putovanja, putovanja...

Biciklom kroz Kaštela

Igra prijestolja... u nasemu malome mistu